Muesli Rusks with Fruit, Nuts and Seeds
Makes about 30 rusks
- 550g cake flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 heaped tsp baking powder
- 375g muesli
- 75g desiccated coconut
- 75g dried fruit (such as raisins, sultanas or dried cranberries)
- 75g roughly chopped nuts (almonds, pecans or even peanuts are all delicious)
- 35g sesame seeds
- 375g butter, melted
- 2 tbsp. honey, warmed
- 250ml buttermilk
- 250ml condensed milk
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease a large roasting tin (about 3-5cm deep) with butter.
- In a very large bowl, sift all the dry ingredients together. Mix all the wet ingredients together and add to the dry mixture. Beat firmly with a wooden spoon until you get a stiff, sticky dough.
- Spoon the mixture into the roasting tin and spread evenly. Using wet hands, smooth the top of the dough. Cut the dough into rectangles about 3cm x 8cm using a small, sharp, wet knife. Bake for about 50 minutes until golden brown on top.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool a little before turning out and separating into individual rusks. Leave to cool completely on wire racks.
- Transfer the racks to a cool oven (about 100C) for about 5 hours until the rusks are completely dry and crisp.