Member Login


ABOUT

KELVIN GROVE

Being the largest sports Club in South Africa, mention the name, Kelvin Grove, to those who have not yet experienced the many faceted nature of this unique Club, and words that may spring to mind are: history, heritage, tradition and excellence.

For the benefit of members, Kelvin Grove has long-standing reciprocity with many prestigious Clubs worldwide.

To our Members, the real pleasure and privilege of belonging to this club is its human face, the pure enjoyment of being part of a community of people of all ages, cultures and creeds, who celebrate life.

Magnificent architecture, excellent service and old world charm, coupled with all the excitement, variety, energy and action required by a new generation.

You’ll find this spirit of camaraderie and excellence throughout Kelvin Grove. At play, in a multitude of sporting facilities, a well equipped fitness centre, a number of restaurants and function rooms including our magnificent Ballroom. Or at work, in a variety of elegantly appointed rooms with up-to-date presentation facilities, catering for functions from the smallest and most select corporate meetings through to spectacular commercial launches seating hundreds.


THE HISTORY OF

KELVIN GROVE

Kelvin Grove’s history started in 1925 when the company Western Province Sports Club was originally formed. In 1935 the Club had a total of 1755 members. Today, Kelvin Grove has approximately 7000 members using the facilities on offer.

A look at the membership list leads to the pleasant discovery that Kelvin is very much a family affair, and among our young and equally active members, particularly in the cricket and rugby fraternities, are a great many sons and grandsons of our older members. We hasten to add that there are just as many daughters, but they have an uncanny habit of changing their names when they marry, so we don’t always know.

1779    

Tobias Rogiers granted “Crown Land”, the farm was called “Questenberg” and embraced the major portion of Kelvin Grove
 

1881    

John Brodie bought the property then known as “Moeders Bewys”. He named his new homestead “Kelvin Grove” after Kelvinside in his native Glasgow.
 

1924

Mr J C Rimer bought Kelvin Grove. Sir Herbert Baker designed the Manor House, the gabled building leading to the grand staircase.

1924


The Birth of Kelvin Grove
12 interested people attended a meeting in the Argus Boardroom. On December 24 it was resolved to float a company to be known as the Western Province Sports Club.
 

1926

Mr W H Mars stood surety for a lease of £15,000 from the SA Mutual which made it possible for the development of the Club to go ahead. The first committee was elected.
 

1926

Club colours registered
 

1934


Kelvin Grove had 1755 members
 

1979

Oct 16: A fire causing damage estimated between R60,000 and R70,000 started in the stationery room.
Nov 02: A second fire starting in the records room caused R300,000 damage.